Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Summer Ballet Fix

So knowing that ballet is quite scarce during the summer in New York City due to most New Yorkers traveling to the Hamptons and what not, I thought I would use this post to help you with your summer ballet fix.

I want to give you books to read, movies to watch, and even some performances to see, all related to our favorite subject. Let us first start with performances, although they may be scarce, there are some pretty great things happening this summer in New York:

  • ABT is still at the Met for another two weeks! 
    • One of the best things about their spring season is that it extends into early July, filling the void after the seasonal depression left by New York City Ballet's summer layoff. This week they are performing Don Quixote, and then Whipped Cream by Alexei Ratmansky the following week, to finish their season. 
  • The Ballet Festival at the Joyce is being held between today (June 26th) through July 7th
    • There are some pretty big names headlining this festival like two former Miami City Ballet principals (Carlos Guerra and Jennifer Kronenberg) bringing new works, Joshua Beamish's ensemble MOVETHECOMPANY, and the Ashely Bouder Project founded by Ashley Bouder herself featuring themes of diversity and feminism. I personally love the intimate space that is the Joyce, and might attend a few of these performances myself. 
  • Dorrance Dance, founded by Michelle Dorrance
    • This group of hoofers, will be performing on June 28th for a FREE outdoor show at the Prospect Park Bandshell. I know she is a tapper and not a ballet dancer, but she has risen to fame and notoriety through the Vail Dance Festival, and has famously worked with huge ballet names like Tiler Peck. It's too good to pass up.
If none of those dates work for you, here are some films that you can pull up on Netflix or iTunes (or maybe even on an airplane):
  • Ballet 422
    • Since Justin Peck just won a Tony award for his choreography in the revival of Carousel on Broadway (which is also a good show to see), I thought it fitting to recommend this documentary featuring a behind the scenes glimpse into his creation of New York City Ballet's 422nd ballet. 
  • Wendy Whelan: Restless Creature
    • This film follows Wendy Whelan in her final days as a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet. It also chronicles her struggle with hip surgery and rehabilitation. On a more personal note, I cried multiple times throughout the film. It is both inspiring and a little sad. I also hear it's featured as one of Delta's in flight movies, so you can watch it on your way to vacation or summer programs. 
  • Misty Copeland's A Ballerina's Tale
    • This is another must see documentary that follows Misty's struggle with injury and also her plight as a female black ballet dancer. I personally haven't seen it, but it is on my summer to do list.
  • Center Stage
    • Because this movie is the greatest and never needs an introduction and should be watched at least once a year. 
Finally here are some recent ballet books I have been reading or will read this summer:
  • Dancing on My Grave
    • As I mentioned in a previous post, I finally read Gelsey Kirkland's autobiography. You can find everything in this book, from gossip about former famous principal dancers to her struggle with eating disorders and drugs. It is a cautionary tale, and also a fabulous beach read. 
  • Any book by Lincoln Kirstein
    • Stop now if you want an easy read, because you are not going to find it with this author. As one of the forefathers of ballet in America, Lincoln has an extreme wealth of knowledge due to his obsession with this fine art, and his privileged upbringing. It took me forever to get through one of his books, because I had to look up almost every art reference, but I feel better for it. 
  • Brenda Dixon Gottschild's The Black Dancing Body
    • This book is on my current reading list. She is one of the leading experts in the African American presence in European concert dance culture. It is a necessary read for anybody in the ballet world, because we need to enter into this dialogue with her and with others in our field about diversity and inclusion in the ballet world. 
Well I think that is enough for now, looks like we are going to have our hands full this summer. I know I personally will be doing a few of these things on this list, but I hope you all do too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballet Is Woman