Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Discussion with Haglund

Anybody looking for some juicy ballet gossip with a side of sass? Well besides my blog (insert hair flip emoji here), Haglund's Heel is my favorite go to blog for all the drama. I love some good tea, and Haglund never fails to serve it. However, I don't usually involve myself in the discussion, until now. 

While scrolling through Haglund's blog, I noticed that Haglund also reviewed ABT's Harlequinade. I posted my own review here in Bullet Pointes on June 19th, after I attended the performance on June 8th. Haglund reviewed the same cast as me, and it seems like we share a few of the same opinions. Especially, our thoughts on Sarah Lane's performance.

Haglund enjoyed her performance so much, that they awarded Ms. Lane the famous H.H. Pump Bump Award. Click here to read Haglund's full review of American Ballet Theater's Harlequinade. Also make sure to check out the super cute pump he awarded the prima ballerina. 

After reading through Haglund's post, I wish they elaborated more on what they actually enjoyed about Sarah Lane's performance. I was so curious as to why the award was given to Ms. Lane, that I decided to comment and ask. 
Hey Haglund,
Can you elaborate on what you loved about Sarah Lane's performance that evening? Unfortunately, that was the only cast I was able to see that week. However, she blew me away when I saw the performance on June 8th at 8pm. She breezed through the extremely difficult choreography with ease and grace. Were the other trinas able to pull off those hops on pointe the way she did? Just curious. 
Also, that was a fantastic analogy. Couldn't have said it better myself. Totally captured how I felt about the reconstruction of this dated ballet.
Haglund never fails to respond to a good question, especially one from a fan. Haglund responded a little over 24 hours later.
Hi, Kristen.
I saw Sarah's performance and the opening night when Isabella Boylston managed the hops on pointe in a rather anxious and lumbering fashion. I didn't see the other two casts.
I wish Haglund elaborated more on what he liked about Ms. Lane's performance, but nevertheless I am happy I received a prompt response. However, I am thankful Haglund answered my second question. Seems like the other principal ballerinas were not as proficient in their hops en pointe as Sarah Lane.  

After reading Haglund's response, I am happy I was able to see the cast featuring Sarah Lane as Columbine. Good for you Sarah Lane! Can't believe it took them so long to promote you to principal dancer! Glad to see you thriving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballet Is Woman